I think everyone woke up this morning and felt relief in the fact that that summer feeling is back in the air. In Ireland we can’t take days like this for granted, so here’s a recipe for My Toddler Cooks Mini Burgers that you can make with your little ones and enjoy on the BBQ this afternoon!
Because tomato and onion are not favourite’s among children, putting them into their burgers is a new way to try them. Talk with the children and mix them in together. I am not keen on tricking children and hiding things in their foods. I prefer to come to an agreement to try and test new ways to taste the disliked food. These went down a treat in our house!
1/2 small onion
Handful of oats
300g mince beef
Salt & pepper for seasoning
1/2 cup flour
Butter for frying (or alternatively BBQ)
- Chop the tomato & onion separately using a food processor
- Sauté the onion on a pan for 5 minutes
- Add the oats to the tomato
- Add onion to the minced beef and season with salt, pepper & tsp of mixed herbs
- Add tomato mix into the meat mix and stir gently to combine all the ingredients.
- Whisk the egg in a cup and then add to the main mixture.
- Next add flour (as needed to bring all the mixture together)
- Divide your mixture into small burger shapes and use flour as needed if very sticky
- Fry on buttered pan for 5-8 minutes or until cooked through (or alternatively BBQ).
For the Mini Burger Buns:
We used a glass/circle cookie cutter to make small burger buns from the large ones we had.
Allow the child to dress their own burger and enjoy their creation.